Chiropractic for Sciatica
Sciatica is an irritation or compression of the Sciatic nerve, which is the longest nerve in your body and runs from your low back all the way down to your toes. Commonly, the pain of Sciatica refers only on one side of the body and goes past the knee. If you ever experience loss of Bladder or Bowel function this could be a sign of Cauda Equine Syndrome, which requires immediate medical attention.
Some common symptoms of sciatica include:
– Pain in the rear of the leg that is worse when sitting, bending at the waist or flexing your head (chin to chest).
– Burning or tingling down back of the leg
– Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
– A constant pain on one side of the leg
– A shooting pain that makes it difficult to move
Sciatica is not itself a diagnosis but a symptom of an underlying issue such as Herniated Disc, Degenerative Joint Disease, or Spinal Stenosis, but is so common that is gets it’s own name. Other causes that could attribute to your low back pain are Piriformis Syndrome, Pregnancy, not exercising, wearing high heels, sleep position or being overweight.
The type of chiropractic therapy provided depends on the cause of the patient’s sciatica. A sciatica treatment plan may include several different treatments such as Chiropractic Adjustments, cryotherapy, ultrasound, TENS or exercises.