Chiropractic for Low Back Pain
Low back pain is the #1 reason people seek out chiropractic care. About 80 percent of Americans will experience low back pain at some point in their life. Low back pain is the leading cause of worker’s compensation and costs the economy millions of dollars every year and like many conditions can have a variety of symptoms and causes.
These lower back pain symptoms include any combination of the following:
– Difficulty moving that can be severe enough to prevent walking or standing
– Pain that also moves around to the groin, buttock or upper thigh, but rarely travels below the knee
– Pain that tends to be achy and dull
– Muscle spasms, which can be severe
– Local soreness upon touch
Low back pain can be caused by a variety of problems with any parts of the complex. It is a interconnect network of spinal muscles, nerves, bones, discs and tendons which all have opportunities to fail. Typical sources of low back pain include:
– The large nerve roots
– The joints in the posterior arch of the vertebra called the Facet Joints
– The large paired lower back muscles (erector spinae) may be strained
– The bones, ligaments or joints may be damaged
– The intervertebral disc may degenerate
Chiropractic treatment for lower back pain most commonly involves adjustments of the lumbar vertebrae and pelvis to re-establish normal motion and biomechanics function. The adjustments usually will provide relief with no other intervention needed. However, continued chiropractic care along with exercise and proper nutrition will keep you healthy and pain-free.